HOME | ABOUT | SUMMARY | OTHER LITERARY MASH-UPs | QUIRK CLASSICS

About
Monday, October 17, 2011

I wanted to do this project because being a bit of a Janeite myself, I've realised that the rising phenomenon of Austen fan(tasy) fiction has been so popular in the last decade or so; leading me to wonder if they are still related to the social concerns and themes that Austen has put in her works. The most famous of which is Grahame-Smith's Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. If one thinks that Pride & Prejudice is about love and marriage, then I suppose that person has got it all wrong.

The meticulous detail that Austen went through to describe the plight of women, the law of primogeniture within the frame of marriage was indeed a social concern, and not so much linked to marriage. Although she was a romantic, Austen never married. However, she was familiar with the circumstances that women in situation faced (she was of a gentry class and her father was a minister).

I hope this project will do justice to her and remind people that her social concerns are still as existent today than before.


0 comments